Tips for keeping your pool nice through the fall
Swimming pool maintenance isn’t just for the summer
Summer seems to last forever in southern Louisiana, which is one of the reasons most of us like to live here. But just because we’re out having fun doesn’t mean you can ignore your swimming pool maintenance duties.
The pool is getting more use, which means that it is dirtier than usual, and the added heat makes the chemical balance more tenuous than usual.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you maintain the pool while the weather is still warm:
- Make chemical adjustments during the evening rather than during the day. It is easier to get an accurate reading and to get a more significant adjustment from the same amount of chemicals this way.
- Check the pool’s chemistry twice as often. During the rest of the year, once a week is fine, but when the weather is warmer it should be checked at least twice a week.
- Add additional water. The heat will evaporate water from your pool at a faster rate during the summer months and the filtration systems do not function properly when the pool is not sufficiently full.
- Clean your filter and skim the pool more frequently. With more people in the pool and the pool is use more often, it is going to get dirtier. Make adjustments as necessary.
- Consider hiring a pool service. It is easier to maintain a clean, sanitary, and chemically balanced pool than it is to correct one once you see discoloration or algae. If you are travelling this summer or your schedule is less consistent, it can be easy to forget to check the pH or to clean the pool filter when you are supposed to. A pool service will make sure that the pool is clean and ready whenever you want to use it!